Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any application fees or cost?

Currently, all fees associated with provisional applications, as well as fees for upgrading to full certification, are being funded  by the New York State Office of Mental Health.

Can I get certified if I don’t have a copy of my high school diploma?

All candidates must provide documentation of their high school diploma or equivalent (GED) in order to become certified.

How long does it take to become certified?

Typically, it takes 4 to 8 weeks to become certified and/or approved for Specialty Track Designation. Once you submit your application for certification and/or Specialty Track Designation, you will receive confirmation that your materials have been received.

If your materials meet all the standards for Certification and/or Specialty Track designation, you will receive confirmation via email within 2 to 4 weeks that your application has been forwarded to NYPSCB Board for review and approval.

Who serves on the NYPSCB?

The members of the NYPSCB are appointed by the NYS Office of Mental Health to represent the Peer Specialist community. The members have diverse backgrounds and possess extensive expertise in many facets of peer support and mental health services.

Is my certification status private and confidential?

Certification with the NYPSCB is public and your certification status will be publicly available.

Can I submit my letters of reference with my application?

Your letters of recommendation must be submitted directly to the NYPSCB office by each of your references.

I want to get certified, but I need help with the application process – What do I do next?

For assistance with the application process, email info@nypscb.org

Will the NYCPS give me a license?

No. The NYCPS is a certificate or credential. NYS currently does not have licensure in this area.

Can I start my own private practice with the NYCPS?

The NYCPS allows holders to work within approved agency settings. It does not allow you to start a private practice unless you have already earned the appropriate education and certification or licensure to do so.